nanog mailing list archives

RE: enterprise 802.11

From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan () atlasnetworks us>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:38:24 +0000

Making APs as low power and "local" as possible is good advice

^ Ignoring this advice is one of the biggest mistakes people make.  They think "Oh, I'll just drown out the noise", but
the problem is almost never how well the clients can see the AP - it's the AP seeing the clients.  It's hard to hear
anyone talking when you're shouting!  ;)

Low power, high AP density, and small channel widths are the way to go.  The smaller channels keep theoretical
bandwidth lower, but you end up with higher throughput in the end.

One other thing specific to the unifi's - they are meant to be ceiling or wallmounted.  They transmit and receive in a
cone.  They *DO NOT* work well if you set them on a table pointed at the ceiling.  I've already seen a half dozen
deployments of them done this way, just slapped on tables, and it *does not work*.  In one case, moving them from the
tables to the walls resulted in a 20x performance increase.

Nathan