nanog mailing list archives

Re: AD and enforced password policies

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 21:16:28 -0500

On Jan 2, 2012, at 9:10 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

I just went through some calculations for a (government) site that has the
following rules:
[...]
Under the plausible assumption that very many people will start with a string
of digits, continue with a string of lower-case letters to reach seven characters,
and then add a period, there are only ~5,000,000,000 choices.  That's not many at
all -- but the rules look just fine...

1234;lkj rolls off the fingers quite nicely, don't you think?

OK -- let's let the set of punctuation be .,; and allow seven choices for where
it goes.  That increases the work factor by 21 -- still not that large a space
for someone with a good botnet.

The real question is what you're trying to protect.  If the attacker's goal is
to get *some* password, then I think he or she will get succeed, because
I think that very many people will follow my assumed pattern -- enough that
the attacker has a good chance of winning.  Sure, some people will pick stronger
ones -- but that isn't the point of the exercise.  Passwords and password rules
are the *enemy* to most people.