nanog mailing list archives

Re: In search of uplink vendor

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:41:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 08:01:58AM -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Paul Kaminsky wrote:
1. 1 Gbps link with complete block of UDP/ICMP protocol
One question:
1. Not knowing anything about your business, is there a specific reason
that you want "a complete block of UDP/ICMP protocol"?  That can be
problematic with IPv4, and downright foolish with IPv6.

        perhaps we are walking around w/ incomplete notions of what
        constitutes a "complete block of UDP/ICMP protocol"...

My notion of the original statement was that the OP was looking for a provider that would block all UDP and ICMP, as in firewalls and packet filters. I also made the possibly-incorrect assumption that if the OP has an ASN from which to announce prefixes, it would also be reasonable to expect that they already have at least one prefix to announce.

From that angle, 'problematic' and 'downright foolish' is not such a far
walk ;)

jms