nanog mailing list archives

Re: Whacky Weekend: Is Internet Access a Human Right?

From: Aled Morris <aledm () qix co uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:47:56 +0000

On 5 January 2012 15:22, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

Understand: I'm not saying that FiOS should be a human right.  But as a
society, America's recognized for decades that you gotta have a telephone,
and subsidized local/lifeline service to that extent; that sort of subsidy
applies to cellular phones now as well.

There is a subtlety here too - when we grant a monopoly (e.g. to operate a
physical loop or in licensing spectrum) in return we often place a
"universal service obligation" on the operator in order they don't abuse
their monoply by not providing service to "less profitable" customers.

This isn't the same as a "right" to a phone.

Aled