nanog mailing list archives

Re: IP KVM suggestions

From: Chris Hunt <dharmachris () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:11:35 -0800

On 1/30/2012 11:05 AM, nanog-request () nanog org wrote:
------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:09:16 -0600
To: "'NANOG'" <nanog () nanog org>
Subject: RE: IP KVM suggestions

I have a need for a small, portable, web based IP kvm with decent
features that doesn't break the bank.  Preferably something that
supports ISO mounting from http or ftp and USB connectivity.  Would
also prefer something browser independent.  Small plugin like the
Raritan devices would be acceptable too. It will be used internally for
Remote access while building devices pre deployment to customers.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks!

Blake
Lantronix Spider is a small, portable, affordable and web enabled IP KVM.
Supports ISO mounting and has USB connections.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html

It is a single server unit. So if you want to connect many servers at the
same time, it might not be the best option as the price quickly escalates.
However, if you buy one and just move it from server to server (which is
what I got from your email), then it is a pretty good fit. Java based web
interface, not the greatest, but it works.

For multiple server access from a single unit, look at the Dell 2161DS
(rebranded Avocent units) line. They are abundant on ebay, and relatively
inexpensive, and can expand to up to 128 servers (via add on PEM modules -
the unit has 16 ports and you connect a PEM to one of the ports and you can
connect up to 8 servers to the PEM 16 x 8 = 128). The 2161DS-2 also supports
ISO mounting when using USB dongles (the 2161DS does not). Java based client
software... Dell isn't supporting the 2161DS software any more apparently
and won't install natively on Windows 7,
I have it running on Windows7, but it has to be "Run As Administrator"
 but the software can be installed
on an XP machine and then copied, this also works for linux, etc.

Tom Walsh

If security is a concern, then you will probably want to only use the
2161-DS behind a VPN, if at all.  The session authentication is fairly
weak and supports no ACLs.  It does support lock-out on multiple bad
authentication attempts though.

-Chris