nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anonymous planning a root-servers party

From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:37:42 -0800

On 2/15/2012 2:40 PM, Grant Ridder wrote:
I really don't think  Anonymous is dumb enough to forget about anycast.

Given their track record, it does seem advisable to take the threat seriously, whatever taking it seriously might mean...

 If
i remember right, another group tried to take down the root servers within
the past 5 or 6 years and only took out around 20 or 25.

Some discussions about that I recall guessed that it was an experimental probe, for learning how to do a better attack. (Remember that 9/11 was a revision of a prior attack on the towers.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking