nanog mailing list archives

Re: Common operational misconceptions

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:20:38 -0600

A few for me that come to mind which haven't been covered yet.

*) Latency, jitter, etc when pinging a router means packets going through the router suffer the same fate.

Never fails that I get a call about the latency changes that occur every 60 seconds, especially on software based routers. uh, huh.

*) admin/admin is okay in a private network behind a firewall

Oh, look, a console port!

*) Assign arbitrary MTUs in a layer 2 transport network based on exactly what customers order.

*) MTU/packet/frame/ping size means the same thing on all vendors.

*) If Wireshark looks right, it must be right (unless Windows discarded 1 (and only 1) layer of 802.1q tags)

*) Upgrades should always be done, even when there's no relevant security or functionality that is needed in newer code.

Amazing how many code changes break things which don't necessarily show up in test environments but will show in production networks (Your mpls worked for months with an invalid router-id configured, and then broke when you change codes? DHCP worked fine, but after upgrade quit accepting <300 byte DHCP packets?).

Jack