nanog mailing list archives

Re: Most energy efficient (home) setup

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:26:18 -0800

Joe Greco wrote:
Quite frankly, it's a little horrifying how quickly people have embraced
not owning their own resources.  On one hand, sure, it's great not to have
to worry about some aspects of it all, but on the other hand...

The web sites that we entrust our data to can, and do, vanish:

You know where I never have to worry about any of that?  On gear we own
and control.

"Cloud" is a crock of hooey buzzword.  There's no "cloud."  For the
average end user, it is the realization that we've farmed out tasks to

Sun had it right all those years ago: "The network is the computer."
But it doesn't have to be Amazon's network, or Google's network.
We *are* the North American Network Operators' Group.  The people
here are more than just a little clued about this stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree.

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 3.2