nanog mailing list archives

Re: why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:34:11 -0800

On 12/20/2012 10:41 AM, Wayne E Bouchard wrote:
How many people here have gotten good enough that they can cut a
cable and pop connectors on each end in under 3 minutes? How many have
gotten good enough that the failure rate for *hand made* cables is sub
1:1000? Show me another connector type where that will be true.

Really, it will remain that way until the bandwidth needs from the
desktop begin to push the GE threshold. Until then, why bother
changing anything? When that does happen, it'll pretty well deal with
itself.

I fully agree. I think the ethernet connector is pretty much the best and most useful one out there. Anything can be improved, however both from an admin and a user's perspective I can't find anything that works better, easier and is as sturdy.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.8