nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:07:23 +0000

On 16/12/2012 02:26, David Conrad wrote:
The UMD folks are making a change to _their_ infrastructure.

as is their prerogative.  It's just that they happen to operate a
particular chunk of Internet infrastructure which is pretty important in
the scale of things.

They have
sent out a notice in advance of that change to folks who might be
interested. They were under absolutely no obligation to do so. There is
no contractual or service level agreement between UMD and _anyone_ that
requires them to do _anything_ with regards to root service.

yep, absolutely.

The fact
that they gave 3 weeks notice that they were changing the IP addresses
of their server shows they are nice folks. Neither you nor anyone else
that uses "D" has any right to dictate how UMD operates their
infrastructure, how much notice to give when making changes to that
infrastructure, who gets notified, etc.

No-one's dictating: I'm just asking them politely to take some suggestions
into consideration - suggestions which no-one has so far pointed out as
being unreasonable, and which I would tend to view as being procedurally
sensible and good things to do.  That's all.

Nick