nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant Routes, BGP with MPLS provider

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:29:26 -0400

On 8/31/12, Bill.Ingrum () t-systems com <Bill.Ingrum () t-systems com> wrote:
I work for an MPLS provider, so I guess I tend to trust them ;)

For certain definitions of "trust" I would also.   But.. Monday? I was
told that $AGENCY had just completed an audit of our network and we
had to change the exec timeout from 15 to 10 minutes on all routers
and switches.

Apparently that extra 5 minutes is an unacceptable security risk.  But
leaving the network wide-open to all sorts of routing hijinks via
MPLS?   (I don't have route filters & acls on all of the mpls
interfaces yet)    nada

We can't trust the people in our office area to not to take advantage
of an unattended terminal but we can trust our MPLS providers to not
take advantage of their unrestricted access?   Seems backwards to me.

Regards,
Lee

Bill