nanog mailing list archives

Re: US House to ITU: Hands off the Internet

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:09:30 +0000

On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 08:47:30PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
On Aug 3, 2012, at 2:06 PM, "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

[Feels operational to me.]

<http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/260299/us_house_to_itu_hands_off_the_internet.html>

The U.S. House of Representatives voted late Thursday to send a message to the United Nations' International
Telecommunication Union that the Internet doesn't need new international regulations. The vote was unanimous: 414-0

Unanimous?  I didn't think this congress could agree the earth is round unanimously.

It is can be useful (particularly during an election year) to make
certain that there is no doubt regarding the resolve of government
with respect to positions being taken in international negotiations.

In this case, I believe that the message is now quite clear...

:-)
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

        Its just the house.... :) But I suspect Terry & delegation will take note.

/bill