nanog mailing list archives

RE: Another LTE network turns up as IPv4-only squat space + NAT

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:57:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012, Chu, Yi [NTK] wrote:

It is not about security. It is about finding enough bits to service 7 digits number of subs.

IPv6 takes care of that problem quite effectively :)

If there is a major amount of gear in the network that will not support IPv6 (apply bat to vendor as appropriate), then I can understand going down the road of IPv4 + CGN, but I would consider that to be an absolute last resort. Not much upside, lots of downside.

jms