nanog mailing list archives

RE: Distributed DNS/etc checking

From: Matthew Wright <Matthew.Wright () pearson-harper com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:16:23 +0000

Todd Snyder(todd () borked ca)@Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 12:08:06PM -0400:
Good day all,

There have been a few instances where we've wanted to check our
external DNS servers from various external networks, so we've utilized
the existing looking glass tools provided by many of you.  However,
it's a very manual process, given that all LG's I've found say no
automating/scripting.  If we want to check from a couple dozen sites
around the world, it's a lot of clicking and typing and collecting.
If we wanted to create an tool that our NOC could use to verify our
services, we would need something we could script.  Ideally, we'd be
able to run this constantly to do health checks on our services, but one step at a time.

A happy customer report for http://www.whatsmydns.net/ not scriptable as such, but very useful, and free into the
bargain.

I use it to check our GeoIP DNS is responding as expected.

Matthew