nanog mailing list archives

Re: Environmental monitoring options

From: Jason Antman <jantman () oit rutgers edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:24:03 -0400

eric clark wrote:
I'd like to ask the list what products people are using to monitor their
environments. By this I'm referring to datacenters, and other equipment.
Temperature, humidity, airflow, cameras, dry contacts, door sensors, leak
detection, all that sort of thing.

I've used Netbotz in the past. Looking to see what else is out there that
people like.

Thanks

Coming from a University environment... data center has all sorts of
different solutions, including some NetBotz. Leak detection and physical
plant/HVAC stuff is mostly "legacy" (bell and flashing lights) in the
Ops room. Latest project has been deploying Websensors
(http://www.eesensors.com/WebsensorEM01B.html) distributed around the
room. We also have a few prototype boards, sort of like a netbotz
without the camera, that were done as a senior project for an EE student
a few years back... actually quite stable and useful.

In smaller TCs/ERs, i.e. anything one room with a few racks, we
generally either have a netbot plus whatever addon for the UPS or, if we
have a services machine deployed there (Linux box for dhcp/dns/remote
access) we use a Dalls One-Wire adapter with some sensors, accessed
through OWFS on that box and monitored in Nagios.

-J. Antman

--

Jason Antman
System Administrator