nanog mailing list archives

Re: iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 21:27:42 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Bulk" <frnkblk () iname com>

Subject: RE: iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?
The copper technologies of DOCSIS and xDSL are well established in
residential deployments and they are asymmetric by design. I don't think
near-symmetric speeds are on the CableLab's and Broadband Forum's short list
of future features. Even GPON is 1:4. As more fiber is deployed, I believe
deployments will eventually migrate to some variation of EPON where
symmetricity is built into the design. In the meantime it is what it
is.

That's as may be... but the real question, I think, is this:

What's the asymmetry of the *intermediate* networks?  It wouldn't make sense
for cablemodem providers to provision symmetric transport inside their MANs
if they didn't have to... so if they *don't* have to, how hard can the push it
with the way they're provisioned now?

Or is the transport natively symmetric, as I suspect, and they're just
letting it all sit there on the return side.  Must gall their sisters... :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com