nanog mailing list archives

Re: wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 00:29:11 -1000

Randy Bush wrote:
   http://ibm-1401.info/
A few (dozen) years ago, I was treated to a interesting demonstration
where a coworker poured an oily fluid containing tiny metallic flakes
on a patch of tape.  The "bits" on the tape could be clearly seen by
the naked eye, and could be decoded (ever so slowly!) using a
magnifying glass.

standard ops procedure on those old tapes

randy

Yep. The method I was taught (IBM) was to loop the tape into the 'developing' solution container and see-saw it back and forth to make sure the mag. particles were distributed. Pull it out and wait until the medium evaporated. Lay it down and carefully place 'scotch-tape' over the record. Pull the scotch tape up and re-tape it to a white, blank, "punched card".
I still have the adjustable magnifier with the bit areas marked on the reticle.

--Michael