nanog mailing list archives

Re: wet-behind-the-ears whippersnapper seeking advice on building a nationwide network

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:51:08 -0700

On Sep 17, 2011 10:41 AM, "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com> wrote:

As an ISP, ARIN will not give you any space if you are new. You
have to already have an equivalent amount of space from another
provider.
does arin *really* still have that amazing barrier to market
entry?
Yes.  If you want PI space, you have to start off with PA space,
utilize it, and then apply for PI space and an AS #, with contracts
demonstrating your intention to multihome.  Then, you have to
*migrate* off the PA space and surrender it back to the 'owner'.  You
cannot get further PI allocations until you've done this.
The ARIN community is easily it's own worst enemy.

the arin policy weenie industry is one of the internet's worst enemies

randy

+1

I will echo my displeasure with the idea that you can only get a lot if you
already have a lot.  This mess is enough to make cgn look appealing...

One more reason we can all do ourselves a favor by moving to ipv6, remove
the number scarcity issue and associated baggage of begging for numbers

Cb