nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:17:02 -0500

Once upon a time, Brett Frankenberger <rbf+nanog () panix com> said:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 09:45:39AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Tei <oscar.vives () gmail com> said:
He, I just want to self-sign my CERT's and remove the ugly warning that
browsers shows.

SSL without some verification of the far end is useless, as a
man-in-the-middle attack can create self-signed certs just as easily.

It protects against attacks where the attacker merely monitors the
traffic between the two endpoints.

Someone who can monitor can most likely inject false traffic and thus
MITM.

In any case, a system that is supposed to provide end-to-end security
shouldn't be considered secure if it can be easily bypassed.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>