nanog mailing list archives

RE: vyatta for bgp

From: "Michael K. Smith - Adhost" <mksmith () adhost com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:08:34 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Dobbins, Roland [mailto:rdobbins () arbor net]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 11:56 AM
To: North American Network Operators' Group
Subject: Re: vyatta for bgp

On Sep 13, 2011, at 1:42 AM, Ben Albee wrote:

Does anybody currently use vyatta as a bgp router for their company?

The days of public-facing software-based routers were over years ago - you
need an ASIC-based edge router, else you'll end up getting zorched.

How do you come to this conclusion?  I think a software-based router for enterprise level (let's say on the 1G per
provider level) can handle a fair amount of zorching.  I checked the Cisco and Juniper docs and neither vendor is
anywhere near releasing their anit-zorching ASICs.

Mike