nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why are we still using the CA model? (Re: Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases updates)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:12:24 +0200

as eliot pointed out, to defeat dane as currently written, you would
have to compromise dnssec at the same time as you compromised the CA at
the same time as you ran the mitm.  i.e. it _adds_ dnssec assurance to
CA trust.
Yes, I saw that. It also drives up complexity too and makes you wonder
what the added value of those cert vendors is for the money you're
forking over.  Especially when you consider the criticality of dns
naming for everything except web site host names using tls. And how
long would it be before browsers allowed
self-signed-but-ok'ed-using-dnssec-protected-cert-hashes?

agree