nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft deems all DigiNotar certificates untrustworthy, releases updates

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:33:17 -1000

Damian Menscher wrote:
The problem here wasn't just that DigiNotar was compromised, but that they
didn't have an audit trail and attempted a coverup which resulted in real
harm to users.  It will be difficult to re-gain the trust they lost.

Because of that lost trust, any cross-signed cert would likely be revoked by
the browsers.  It would also make the browser vendors question whether the
signing CA is worthy of their trust.

Damian

I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about the hacker's claim at:
http://pastebin.com/85WV10EL

"d) I'm able to issue windows update, Microsoft's statement about Windows Update and that I can't issue such update is totally false! I already reversed ENTIRE windows update protocol, how it reads XMLs via SSL which includes URL, KB no, SHA-1 hash of file for each update, how it verifies that downloaded file is signed using WinVerifyTrust API, and... Simply I can issue updates via windows update!"

Thanks,

--Michael