nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDoS - CoD?

From: Mark Grigsby <mark () pcinw net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 08:26:51 -0700

Recently (last month) Ryan Gordon (the person responsible for porting COD to
Linux) released a patch for cod4 servers to address this specific issue.
 Here is the announcement and a link to the original email as well.  The
discussion also indicated that all of the Quake III based games suffered
from the same issue.

http://icculus.org/pipermail/cod/2011-August/015397.html

So we're getting reports of DDoS attacks, where botnets will send
infostring queries to COD4 dedicated servers as fast as possible with
spoofed addresses. They send a small UDP packet, and the server replies
with a larger packet to the faked address. Multiply this by however fast
you can stuff UDP packets into the server's incoming packet buffer per
frame, times 7500+ public COD4 servers, and you can really bring a
victim to its knees with a serious flood of unwanted packets.

I've got a patch for COD4 for this, and I need admins to test it before
I make an official release.

    http://treefort.icculus.org/cod/cod4-lnxsrv-query-limit-test.tar.bz2