nanog mailing list archives

Need photographs of IT/Telecom gear/rooms

From: Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:30:58 -0700

Greetings,

I have been given the opportunity to teach the mechanics of the Internet to a group of 6 - 12'th grade students, and as an engineer and owner of an ISP I have it in mind to really get into this and show these kids how, really, all this stuff works and to make it fun and exciting. I can't take them on a tour of an ATT central office to show off one of my DSLAMs for example, nor can I really show them what a colocation or IX looks like since they are too far away to drive. I was hoping any of you would be kind enough to provide pictures of these types of environments, especially rack mounted switch/router hardware, fiber optic cabling short and long haul, international undersea cable anchor points, or anything else that would make for a good slide presentation in this context. These kids are in a very rural community where marijuana is the main source of income (followed by meth), and have little access to adults doing this type of stuff in the real world. My focus will also include introducing these kids to the concept of having something better such as a career in information technology and talking about ways they themselves might get involved and on track that way, so these photographs would be extremely helpful to light their young minds and get them thinking about their futures.

Thank you all.

Mike-