nanog mailing list archives

Re: facebook spying on us?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 01:16:34 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Jones" <BEJones () semprautilities com>

I can't tell you the kind of servers, but I can say that I was
recently in Prineville, OR, where FB is building a data center (and a
second data center). I was used to the ol data centers - you know,
where there's raised floors, cabinets, cool air, a guard and a few
guys around with some screens?

Data Center Knowledge posted about 20 minutes of very poorly shot video
of Prineville.  They're Open Compute servers in 'triplet' racks.

But this was massive. I was amazed at the size - a few city blocks
long and a city block wide, with a transformer and power line the size
of a small city. I wonder if the Feds were involved.

Their power supply (also open) runs across 2 legs of a 277/480 3-phase feed,
which is usually what the substation supplies to your PDUs, which step it
down further to 120/208.  It also takes -48, and each pair of triplets has
a 48V float string that will run the 180 servers for about 45 seconds.

It's a nice setup.  I plan to steal it.  :-)

(The substation input voltage is very often 13k2 to 13k8, though it can be
even higher.)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com