nanog mailing list archives

Re: nanog53 network status

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:31:31 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Weis" <nweis () verilan com>

We identified a link between 2 switches that was having intermittent
physical errors just a bit ago. The offending copper bits have been thrown
to the depths of hell. There were several access points in the center of
Millenium Hall that were fed via this link and, as such, most likely
contributed to some of the issues people were seeing this morning.

Suggestion: you (and everyone else who's ever in your position at a Large
Networking Conference) should *run a netops blog, and make sure it's well
publicized in the week leading up to the conference -- and at registration*.

Or, even, run a Twitter account to which people can subscribe from their
cellphones via SMS, on which you announce problems and fixes.

Communications, *way* ahead of the curve, ameliorates the impact of this
sort of problems remarkably.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com