nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Traffic Light Control (was Re: First real-world SCADA attack in US)

From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:34:47 -0800

On 11/22/11 08:16 , Jay Ashworth wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen DeLong" <owen () delong com>

As in all cases, additional flexibility results in additional ability
to make mistakes. Simple mechanical lockouts do not scale to the
modern world. The benefits of these additional capabilities far
outweigh the perceived risks of programming errors.

The perceived risk in this case is "multiple high-speed traffic fatalities".

I believe we rank that pretty high; it's entirely possible that a traffic
light controller is the most potentially dangerous artifact (in terms of
number of possible deaths) that the average citizen interacts with on a
daily basis.

Cars generically cause at lot more deaths than faulty traffic
controllers 13.2 per 100,000 population in the US annually.