nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network device command line interfaces

From: "Robert E. Seastrom" <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:16:33 -0500

Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us> writes:

On 11/24/2011 11:58, Jonathon Exley wrote:
That's the problem - as a propellorhead I don't make the purchasing decisions. I can recommend products but low cost
speaks more loudly than "this gear is a dog to work with".

That's where you get a chance to impress the business folks by using
terms like "total cost of ownership." You make the case that while
product X may have a higher capex, that's a one-time expense that can be
amortized and/or depreciated. Whereas the opex for product Y is going to
be higher for the life of the thing. Make sure to tart up your estimate
by including the developer costs of the tools you will need to verify
that changes are correct and/or disaster recovery because everyone is
human, and the horrible UI magnifies the likelihood of an "innocent"
fat-finger mistake turning into a complete meltdown (or worse, a
security hole that no one sees until it's too late).

What Doug said.  Also, don't forget the value of letting the decision
makers know the worst-case.  It's not really FUD if you're just
opening their eyes to the consequences of their buying decisions.  For
instance, if you can't back the config of the device up in a
human-readable/mergeable format (or worse yet, can't back it up _at
all_), consider the cost per hour of downtime on a 24 port switch with
a bunch of random office workers connected whose fully loaded hourly
cost (including cost of office space, health insurance, employer part
of FICA, etc) is, um, let's be cheap and say $40/hour.  Funny how this
puts the cost of both CLI-based stuff *and on-site spares* in
perspective.

"We can't buy it if I can't back it up with RANCID because of the
negative impact it has on our business continuity" is a good way to
put this into terms that the folks who hold the purse strings can
understand.

-r