nanog mailing list archives

Re: Have they stopped teaching Defense in Depth?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:36:21 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jimmy Hess" <mysidia () gmail com>

Or, the attack is against a legitimate user's outbound connection, for example:
a user behind the firewall connects to a web site, a vulnerability
in their browser is exploited
to install a trojan -- the trojan tunnels to the attacker over an
outgoing port that is allowed on the firewall.

Oh, certainly; I have lots of web browsers running on my servers.

All The World Is Not A Workstation, guys.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com