nanog mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls - Ease of Use and Maintenance?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 13:29:43 -0500

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 08:00:01 CST, Joe Greco said:
On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 03:32:45PM +0300, Alex Nderitu wrote:
An important feature lacking for now as far as I know is content/web
filtering especially for corporates wishing to block
inappropriate/time wasting content like facebook.

1. That's not a firewall function.  That's a censorship function.

Is it "censorship" not to want unwanted connection attempts to our
gear, and block unsolicited TCP connections inbound?

Is it "censorship" not to want unwanted exploit attempts to our
gear, and run everything through ClamAV, and use blocklists to
prevent users inadvertently pulling content from known malware sites?

I do believe that Alex was saying "blocking outbound access to time wasters
like Facebook" is a censorship function, not a firewall function.