nanog mailing list archives

Re: New vyatta-nsp list

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:44:23 -0700

On May 24, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Brent Jones wrote:

Well, with the new Juniper entry level MX devices out now, the cost
difference between Vyatta and Juniper is probably insignificant now,
and with Juniper devices, you have much higher PPS rate.

Granted, I have Vyatta devices now doing BGP, and they work fine, but
you can't argue that ASICs can forward much faster than a general
purpose CPU  :)

To each their own

So the applications where I've deployed vyatta have a lot to do with having a topological need for a
router/firewall/ipsec tunnel termination point in a VM.

Im some cases I'm not particularly proud of the results. but it's not a use case that juniper presently addresses.

devices down in srx210/240/ja2320 land are a rather different keetle of fish in comparision to an mx80/mx240.

--
Brent Jones
brent () servuhome net