nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Server Cabinet

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 07:27:27 -0500 (CDT)

Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 09:43:53 +0100
Subject: OT: Server Cabinet
From: Robert Lusby <nanogwp () gmail com>

Sorry to start the day OT, but I'm sure you lovely lot will have some
tips/experience! ;)

We have a HP Server Cabinet (42U 10842 G2), that we've stripped down to the
bare-bones chassis. It now measures 750mm wide.

We have a door-way that said server cabinet must fit through, measuring up
at 620mm.

The cabinet chassis is welded at all four corners, so can't be taken apart
any more without being cut.

Can you see where this is leading yet? Three obvious questions:

1) Have you ever had to fit a cabinet through a doorway that's too small?
2) How did you do it? Cut cabinet, demolish wall ...?
3) If you cut the cabinet, any tips?

Comment:  you need to recognize that you are 'making trouble'.  At _some_
point in the future, there will be a need to remove said cabinet from that
location, and the issue will rear it's ugly head *again*.

Suggestion: If there is no alternative to that narrow doorway, consider:
   a) getting a *different* cabinet -- one that _will_ dis-assemble.
   b) if 'all else fails', _widen_ the doorway.  Thus permanently resolving
      the issue.

Option (a) _is_ going to be less time/effort/money than any other alternative.