nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix Is Eating Up More Of North America's Bandwidth Than Any Other Company

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:53:10 -0600

On 5/18/11 2:33 PM, Dorn Hetzel wrote:
If we're really talking efficiency, the "popular" stuff should probably
stream out over the bird of your choice (directv, etc) because it's hard to
beat millions of dishes and dvr's and no cable plant.

Then what won't fit on the bird goes unicast IP from the nearest CDN.   Kind
of like the "on demand over broadband" on my satellite box.  Their selection
sucks, but the model is valid.

If someone hadn't mentioned already, there used to be a usenet provider that delivered a full feed via Satellite. Anything is feasible, just have to find people who actually want/need it and a provider that isn't blind to long term benefits.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org