nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo and IPv6

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 12:36:35 -0700

Paul Vixie wrote:
time in Nicaragua he said that he has a lot of days like this and he'd
like more work to be possible when only local connectivity was available.

Compelling stuff.  Pity there's no global market for localized services
or we'd already have it.  Nevertheless this must and will get fixed, and
we should be the generation who does it.

I have found that the general theme is to move services that were traditionally available inside an office network (source control, email, ticketing/bug tracking systems, storing documents, corporate "wikis" etc.) to an external place, perhaps even outsourced to one of the virtual server or "software as a service" providers.

I am not a particular fan of that trend, but I can see the pros and cons of doing it. It doesn't look like that's going to stop any time soon, let alone be (partially) reversed.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/