nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Conventions

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:39:52 +0200 (CEST)

1) Is there a general convention about addresses for DNS servers? NTP
servers? dhcp servers?

DNS server addresses should be short and easy to tape, as already
mentioned.

2) Are we tending to use different IPs for each service on a device?

In many cases yes - because that makes it possible to easily move the
service to a different box.

Finally, what tools do people find themselves using to manage IPv6 and
addressing?

Excel spreadsheets, HaCi.

 It seems to me that IPAM is almost required to manage IPv6 in
any sane way, even for very small deployments (My home ISP gave me a /56 and
a /64).

At least as long as you use static addresses. We like static, and tend
to stay away from SLAAC. We do *not* use EUI-64 for router links. For
customer links we use /64, for backbone links we use /124 (ensures
that SLAAC can never ever be used on the link, and also that the two
ends can be numbered ending in 1 and 2 - nice and simple).

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no