nanog mailing list archives

Re: coprorations using BGP for advertising prefixes in mid-1990s

From: Tony Li <tony.li () tony li>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:47:54 -0700

On May 12, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

Does no one remember EGP? ASNs are MUCH older than BGP. And we were
using BGPv3 prior to the existence of V4. We used BGPv4 back in the days
when Tony Li would chastise us for reporting a bug in a 10 day old Cisco
build saying that we could not expect BGPv4 code over a week old to
work. He felt that we should deploy new code daily.

To be fair, that was for folks on the isp-geeks mailing list, who were effectively doing alpha test with me.  I was
fixing about 1 significant bug per day and doing at least one release per day.  10 day old code was missing at least 10
fixes...  ;-)   And that was BGP3.   BGP4 was the next developer.

Regards,
Tony