nanog mailing list archives

Re: VPN tunnels between US and China dropping/slow

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:34:41 -0400

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM, William Pitcock
<nenolod () systeminplace net> wrote:

Currently, we're talking to Time Warner and some of our customers who
have plants in China to see what solutions they're using to get
around this kind of issue. One thing we are hearing quite often is
that they're using a MPLS based connection to Hong Kong, then going
to the USA from there. We're happy to try this, but due to cost
issues we're (management mostly) considering this a last resort
option. Are there any other options maybe some of you have to fixing
this issue? Thanks

The only option is to get transport to an endpoint outside China, e.g.
in Hong Kong.

or just tunnel without a protocol... or spread-spectrum across more
than one endpoint set