nanog mailing list archives

Re: Paul Baran, RIP.

From: John Kristoff <jtk () cymru com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:08:20 -0500

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:14:18 -0400 (EDT)
Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

Oh hell; now we'll *never* lay the ghost of "packet switching was
invented to create a nuclear-war-survivable network".

Maybe you're confusing the invention of packet switching with the
creation of the ARPANET?  Survivability, particular to "enemy attack",
was a prime motivator for Baran's original ideas as published in he
IEEE Transactions of Communications 1964 paper.  ARPANET's motivation
was apparently very different.  The Network World article looks to be
factually accurate to me. Looks like this was used as a primary source
for the article:

  <http://www.rand.org/about/history/baran.list.html>

John