nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why does abuse handling take so long ?

From: Alexander Maassen <outsider () scarynet org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:08:08 +0100

Op 14-3-2011 0:21, Leo Bicknell schreef:

Quite frankly, most ISP's aren't going to take your DDOS report
seriously via e-mail.  If it's not bad enough to you that it is
worth your time and money to make a phone call and help them track
it down it is not worth their time and money to track it down and
make it stop.

In short, try picking up the phone.  You'll bypass the entire e-mail
reporting cesspool I just described, and show the ISP you actually
care.  9 out of 10 times they will respond by showing they care as
well.

Quite frankly, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. And the answer I
get most of the time there is:
[loop]
- Sorry, email abuse and wait for a reply
- Sorry, I can't help you, wait for a reply on your abuse email
- Sorry, there is nothing I can do, my hands are bound, wait for a reply
from the abuse department
[/loop]

So much regarding the 9 out of 10. It's the 1 remaining that actually
cares and tries something.