nanog mailing list archives

Re: so big earthquake in JP

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:51:41 -0500

On Mar 11, 2011, at 6:34 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

On Mar 11, 2011, at 6:11 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

On Mar 11, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Daniel Belin wrote:

Are we aware of how much the infrastructure has been damaged yet? Are aftershocks still going?

Subway & bus lines are still down.  Fire at the nuke plant has been put out, no radiation detected, but they still
evacuated a couple thousand residents because the backup generator failed & the water pump is not pumping.

I hear that there is now rising radiation levels outside the plant and US is flying in some dampers
in hopes to resolve the situation.

Here is what the IAEA has to say about the situation

http://www.iaea.org/press/?p=1133

Japanese officials have also reported that pressure is increasing inside the Unit 1 reactor’s containment, and the
officials have decided to vent the containment to lower the pressure.  The controlled release will be filtered to
retain radiation within the containment.

TEPCO has a lot more detail

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031203-e.html

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031209-e.html

Regards