nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Edge Router replacement - IPv6 route tablesizeconsiderations

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:58:09 -0800

In a message written on Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:07:15PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:38:12 EST, Joe Maimon said:
rfc3927 does not require 64 bits and works sufficiently well wherever it
is employed. SLAAC should be redesigned to be configurable to work with
however many bits are available to it and it should be a standard
feature to turn that knob all the way from on - off with 128 bit stops
in between.

Feel free to explain how SLAAC should work on a /96 with 32 bits of host address
(or any amount smaller than the 48 bits most MAC addresses provide).  Remember
in your answer to deal with collisions.

Well, I at least think an option should be a /80, using the 48 bits
of MAC directly.  This generates exactly the same collision potential
as today we have with a /64 and an EUI-64 constructed from an EUI-48
ethernet address.  The router is already sending RA's for SLAAC to
work, sending along one of a well-known set of masks would be a
relatively minor modification.

That said, ND has built into it DAD - Duplicate Address Detection.
There is already an expectation that there will be collisions, and
the protocols to detect them are already in place.  I see little
to no reason you couldn't use a different length subnet (like the
/96 in your example), randomly select an address and do DAD to see
if it is in use.  Indeed, this is pretty much how AppleTalk back
in the day worked (with a 16 bit number space).

The probability of collision is pretty low, and the penalty/recovery
(picking a new address and trying again) is rather quick and cheap.

If a service provider is going to end up giving me a /64 at home (I
know, a whole different argument) I'd vastly prefer to use /80 or /96
subnets with either of these methods, and still be able to subnet the
space.  I suspect if /64's are given out one or both will come to be
"standard".

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440