nanog mailing list archives

Re: estimation of number of DFZ IPv4 routes at peak in the future

From: John Curran <jcurran () istaff org>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 09:32:41 -0500

On Mar 9, 2011, at 12:43 AM, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 12:44:05PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
i am more of a pessimist.  i suspect that there will be enough v4-only
destinations out there that multi-homed enterprises fronting onto
dual-stack backbones will announce teenie bits of v4 so they can nat64.

   I'll take this one a little further.

   I suspect that as we reach exhaustion, more people will be
forced to break space out of their provider's v4 aggregates, and
announce them, and an unfiltered DFZ may well approach the 'million'
entries some vendors now claim to support.

This matches my personal view (and could be viewed as
"success" compared to the 5M estimate of Mr. Herrin...)

/John