nanog mailing list archives

Re: A BGP issue?

From: Vadim Antonov <avg () kotovnik com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 02:41:33 -0800

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 09:25 +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
At 21:49 07/03/2011 -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
On Mar 7, 2011, at 14:27, Greg Ihnen <os10rules () gmail com> wrote:

I run a small network on a mission base in the Amazon jungle which is
fed by a satellite internet connection. We had an outage from Feb 25th to
the 28th where we had no connectivity with email, http/s, ftp, Skype
would indicate it's connected but even chatting failed, basically
everything stopped working except for ICMP. I could ping everywhere just
fine. I started doing traceroutes and they all were very odd, all not
reaching their destination and some hopping all over creation before
dying. But if I did traceroute with ICMP it worked fine. Does this
indicate our upstream (Bantel.net) had a BGP issue? Bantel blamed
Hughesnet which is the service they resell. I'm wondering what kind of
problem would let ping work fine but not any of the other protocols. It
also seems odd that I could traceroute via UDP part way to a destination
but then it would fail if the problem was my own provider. Thanks.

If this is the wrong forum for this post I'm sorry and please just hit
delete. If this is the wrong forum but you'd be kind enough to share your
expertise please reply off-list. Thanks!

Honestly, I would rate this as one of the most on-topic posts in a while.

+1.
When you have http working I suggest running:
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
to give you a benchmark of what your connection can do in the way of protocols.

Regards,
Hank

Greg - you may want try doing pings with large packets. You may have MTU
mismatch or some other problem with a link with lets small ICMP pings
through but mangles or discards large packets.

--vadim