nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:16:10 -0700

On Jun 14, 2011, at 1:15 PM, Ricky Beam wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:02:18 -0400, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
That was kind of my point. You are unlikely to encounter such a large L2 domain outside of an exchange point.

I've seen such large networks in private industry (and governements, not just the US) several times.  And IPv6 has
been designed (poorly, it would now appear) for huge "LAN"s -- LANs are supposed to be /64, after all.

One of them "had" to have such stupid large L2 domains because they used RIP (v1) EVERYWHERE. (all networks had to be
/22's)  They made a god aweful mess trying to switch to OSPF, got fined by a three letter regulatory agency, and are
probably still running RIPv1 to this day.

The point of /64 is to support automatic configuration and incredibly sparse host addressing.
It is not intended to create stupidly large broadcast domains.

A /22 is probably about the upper limit of a sane broadcast domain, but, even with a /22
or 1022 nodes max, each sending a packet every 10 seconds you don't get to 100s of PPS,
you get 102.2pps.

Owen