nanog mailing list archives

Re: bgp feed to customer

From: Richard Zheng <rzheng () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:37:21 -1000

Hi Richard,
       Could you run a bgp session on Router B ? I had to do this once for
a customer because we had layer 3 switches on the edge with routing. I
configured 2 BGP sessions at the customer's router. The first session was
between  Customer C and Router B. I only sent the default route to the
customer.  The next session was ebgp multihop between Router A and Customer
C  with full routing.  I did allow the customer to announce the /30 to
Router B just so Router A could learn the return path or you could just
static route the /30 from Router A

Now if the link Breaks between Router B and Customer C BGP will drop both
sessions.

Thanks
Jim Gonzalez

When Router A redistributes external routes to OSPF, it sets the next hop to
itself. All the routers include Router B in the AS sends to traffic to
Router A which sends to Router B and causes a loop. The root cause is the
inability to set next-hop address for ospf route even though external routes
have a 'forward address' field.

It looks like that there are three solutions,
(a), Router B talks EBGP with Router C and then redistribute to OSPF
(b), Router B talks IBGP with Router A and then redistribute to OSPF,
redistribution may not be necessary if you don't care traffic from other
routers goes to Router A first, then to B and C.
(c), Create a tunnel between Routers A and C so that A sends traffic to
tunnel IP, instead router C

Personally I prefer (b) because only one EBGP is required to the customer. I
just need to figure out the IBGP config on Router A so that it only sends
the customer routes instead of the whole table.

Thanks,
Richard