nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Matthew Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 01:39:39 +1000

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 01:04:41PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 12 jun 2011, at 12:35, Daniel Roesen wrote:

Could you point to any RFC which implies or explicitly states that
DHCPv6 MUST NOT be used in absence of RA with M and/or O=1?

But what's the alternative? Always run DHCPv6 even if there are no router
advertisements or router advertisements with O=0, M=0?

That would seem to be the logical outcome, yes.

Like I said before, that would pollute the network with many multicasts
which can seriously degrade wifi performance.

Regardless of it's potential downsides, the issue at hand was the RFC
compliance of such a setup.  Owen DeLong contended that: