nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIP Joe Wood

From: Scott Whyte <swhyte () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:57:58 -0700

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 21:33, Joe Hamelin <joe () nethead com> wrote:
Joe Wood passed in his sleep Friday morning.  The only man I knew that had
Juniper and Cisco logos tattooed on his forearms.  A true Internet Rockstar
who started at a legacy ISP in Seattle, moved to Flying Crocodile, and then
to design a fair chunk of Google's network.

He not only designed at Google: implemented, supported, and upgraded
as well, everything from optical systems to MPLS TE to routing
protocols.  He was a famous night owl, and a huge help all those wee
AMs when I was oncall and needed more hands, because he was always
willing to pitch in.

He was well on his way to
starting his own CLEC when his young body gave out on him. He was one of the
most honest and loving friends that I've had in my life and the most
brilliant IP engineer I have known.

Please drink a toast to him with vendor supplied beer.

I intend to have more than one toast to Joe, tomorrow in Denver.  He
will be missed.

-Scott