nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yup; the Internet is screwed up.

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 22:00:30 -0400

Also remember there are a lot of moves afoot to *make it illegal* for
cities
and other municipalities to deploy last-mile fiber, as we discussed a
couple
weeks ago.  Who's responsible for most of that?

Verizon.

Can you spell FiOS?

My assertion's been that they need it to save them from 30 years of "cut to
clear", but someone with some insider knowledge told me once that it at
least isn't that *everywhere*...

Cheers,
-- jra

Well, Time Warner too, F'r instance North Carolina.

See analysis
http://www.muninetworks.org/content/digging-h129-another-bill-nc-limit-local-authority-and-broadband-competition

Not exactly illegal but so many hoops that nobody will jump

I suppose the TW argument is that they need a monopoly to justify investment

Here in NYC, in exchange for a franchise, Verizon had to promise universal
coverage by mid 2014
http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2008/verizon-files-application-and.html
and there was no exclusive deal.

--
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com