nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 day fun is beginning!

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 07:42:10 -0400

On Jun 8, 2011, at 4:32 AM, Tim Chown wrote:

On 8 Jun 2011, at 04:46, Jared Mauch wrote:

We have seen a traffic increase but nothing like what I was expecting, nay hoping to see.  (i.e.: gigs and gigs of
traffic - it does look like ~2x to me in an unscientific eye-look at a chart).

Some of it may be down to client behaviour.  Despite Facebook being a 30 second TTL, I had to flush my MacOS X DNS
cache before I'd get the new AAAA record.

My IPv4 is NATed but my IPv6 is not.  I have a caching transparent cache for the IPv4 (squid) and watching the log made
me notice similar behavior as well.  Some systems were 'stuck' talking to the IPv4 address but were redirected to the
v6 as a result of the squid proxy being dual-stacked.

- Jared