nanog mailing list archives

sFlow and NetFlow data collection and monitoring

From: Sargun Dhillon <sdhillon () decarta com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 03:08:01 -0500 (CDT)

I'm looking into network monitoring utilities for both gathering basic statistics conducive to my enterprise as well as
looking for anomalies in traffic traffic. I'm curious as to how NANOG approaches this problem.

Are most of your statistics gathered via netflow, or sFlow? How do you gather them, and process them? What do most of
you use the data for? Deciding (de)peering agreements? Reducing latency to your biggest customers?

How 'standard' are the industry standards (Fluke, Arbour). I've experimented with pm-acct, and flow-tools. How do you
leverage flow-tools and pmacct?

--
Sargun Dhillon
deCarta